KK20

November 20, 2012, 08:51:57 pm Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:03:32 am by KK20
Advance Wars Engine
Authors: KK20
Version: 0.1b
Type: Engine
Key Term: Misc System

Introduction

I wouldn't expect a large majority of you to know what the game Advance Wars is, so I might as well explain it briefly. Developed by Intelligent Systems (whom also did Fire Emblem, a game you should probably all be familiar with), Advance Wars is a turn-based strategy game of 2-4 players. Players control their own armies of tanks, battleships, and jet fighters to take down their opponents. Players also choose a Commanding Officer who has special abilities and skills to aid in combat (one CO can heal his units while another prefers using air units than sea units). There are a number of maps for players to choose from as well as a Campaign mode that pits the player to complete a number of objectives to a storyline.

This project/script will provide you with the necessary tools to create your own Advance Wars game (or just play a quick game with friends if you're not interested in making your own--the demo provides enough maps, units, and COs to play with).

Features

• Comes packed with the basic essentials for any typical Advance Wars game.

• Open Source--Write your own add-ons or edit the existing code.

• More to come...

Screenshots

Videos of progress:
Gameplay Test #1
Update #6
Channel

Screenshots (OLD): ShowHide

CO Select Screen

Fog of War

User Interface stuff

Grit's Rocket attack range

Script
-GitHub Repository-
https://github.com/tcrane20/AdvanceWarsEngine

-Official Releases-
Version
v0.1b

Instructions

Instructions are located in the ReadMe.txt and UserManual.pdf files.

Compatibility

This engine is a complete backhand to RPG Maker XP. Of course any scripts meant for actual RPGs in mind will not work here at all. I don't see why you would even need to add any outside scripts to this engine anyways.

Credits and Thanks

• KK20 - Project Leader

• Blizzard - Multiple Inputs script and how to write errors to text files

• game_guy - Manipulate comment lines in events and screenshot script

• ForeverZer0 - Advanced Weather script and console debugging tool

• GubiD - References to GTBS script

• Selwyn - Window Class rewrite

• Cogwheel - Audio MP3 Loop script (possibly be substituted for another script)

• DerVVulfman - Mouse Input script

• Legacy - High Priority script

• Nintendo & Intelligent Systems - For creating the Advance Wars series and using their sprites and audio

Author's Notes

Spoiler: ShowHide

So why are you doing this?

Simple: I love this game. What? Not good enough of a reason?

For some of you RPG Maker XP users, you may have heard of a script called GubiD's Tactical Battle System. It was mentioned that an Advance Wars add-on would be created. Upon returning to the RMXP community, he replied that such a thing was already possible to make with the heavy use of events. I shook my head at this comment--there are WAY too many variables and factors you have to consider, so much so that eventing it would be a nightmare.

There have also been a few Advance Wars engines created, one of which is open-source (but in Java...my enemy) and another which allowed users to create their own campaigns, units, and CO's with a simple GUI. However, none of these felt like a true Advance Wars recreate, not to mention some had bugs, graphical errors, and (worst of all) I would not be able to change any of it.

I also started this project around the time I joined this website. I found it as a test of my Ruby scripting knowledge I've accumulated over the years. Plus, the feeling of doing something from scratch to completion is a great sensation.

What do you plan on doing?

Right now, I'm still in the "get everything finished so that I can release some kind of demo as soon as possible" mode. The engine has seen some changes:

• Battle calculations have been changed

• CO's have been modified

• Friendlier user interface

But I also plan on trying to add as many features as possible of the original Advance Wars into the engine (some animations, AI, Campaign, Map Maker, and possibly online matches). I probably will include more features if this project gets further in the design process, but as of now, I just want a working game going.

Anything I can do to help?

As of now, I am doing all of this solo.

When the time comes around, I'd sure like some Testers. Throughout my scripting process, I have always come upon some small bugs that were difficult to find and reproduce, so many hands would be appreciated.

If you are super knowledgeable with Ruby scripting (and possibly RMX-OS when I get that far), I may require a couple Programmers.

Knowledgeable with the series in general? I'd love to hear some feedback, suggestions, and ideas. I'd love to do a few rounds with you as well (but as of now the only way I can play with others is through TeamViewer...trust issues ya know?)

Quote from: KK20 on November 29, 2012, 01:59:53 am
I want to add that I'm kinda looking for spriters or anyone good with making graphics if you want to make the default systems look nicer/better. I'm not desperate, but if you like this project and feel you want to help make it look its best, I'd appreciate it ;) (otherwise, everyone will just have to love my amateur spriting).

Also, if you would like to make a logo for the project, go for it. The only program I've ever needed to used is Paint, so my experience with graphics is pretty much zero. Again, I'm not desperate, but if you would like to support, please <3

Since I am not currently looking to make a standalone game, I'm not in the need of composers or writers.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Zexion

I've actually seen your game on youtube before, and I was like O.O
Good luck with this, though with your skill I doubt you will need it. I should be saying I can't wait till it's done lol.

Memor-X

i would love to use this, i have an idea for an Advance Wars like game where the controls are much the same but you could build buildings within a certain range of the H.Q or H.Q Relays (allowing multiple bases) and your C.Os were on the battle field so they could have ranged bonuses (say that there was a C.O like Sami but when soldiers are in say a 3 tile range, they can capture places in a single turn (like her power)) so they level up, get equipment and some have certain special abilities (one board a tank to increase it's firepower and deference, one, when he goes to attack, can call all indirect fire units within range to him fire at his target aswell), i was thinking of building it in Unity but i could trial some of the mechanics like the questing system, the Final Fantasy Tactics A2 like map and how every point is a battle map you can use in multi-player

ofcause, we i could just use it to make really, really huge operation maps with no 50 unit limits

as for some suggestions based off from the Advance Wars series (i've only played the first 2), i would suggest

- Being able to use ALL Black Hole buildings like
      * the Factory (will produce random units each turn and you already own a production facility that can make that unit (so it won't spit out air units if you don't have an airport)
      * Lasers
      * The Death Ray
      * Labs (Allows you to produce a more advance unit associated with it once captured, much like how they unlock the Neo Tank for the Factory Battle after clearing the mission)
      * Cannons
      * Grand Cannons

Naturally these would be Neutral Buildings and bug ones would have a central point of capture and central point of destruction (like what the Grand Cannons had)

- Being able to repair Pipe Seams when destroyed (so have an solider move over and work like capturing a building), should also allow soldiers to walk through (logically a solider can use the bolts in the seam like a ladder to climb over, huge movement cost), the same repairing can work for destroyed Grand Cannons, Cannons and Lasers
- Being able to use set a Volcano in the map editor (it only shows up in one mission)
- missiles can be replenished (for a huge cost) and can destroy a unit (instead of just reducing it to 1 HP,
- repair units that can repair units on the field instead of just relying on captured buildings

most of these ideas come from Advance Wars 2

G_G

Never had the chance to play an Advance Wars game, but god damn KK20, this is looking pretty impressive. I hope you keep at this project and I can't wait to see more.

candi.horror

I'm only somewhat knowledgeable about Advance Wars (I think I've got a cart for it around here somewhere...) but I would like to offer my services as a play tester. I used to work for Electronic Arts, I mostly did testing on various Sims 3 games (for PC/Mac, as well as 3DS, XBOX360, PS3) and worked on the Alpha build of Battlefield 3 (which they sent to us three weeks before Open Beta was supposed to start xD), so I've got the experience you need ^_^ Let me know if you would like my help!

Subsonic_Noise

Oh my god I loved advance wars. I actually was addicted to it back then, played it in multiplayer with my friends, built my own maps, played through the campaign mode multiple times.. I can't do much for you, but good luck.

KK20

Wow, glad to see some nice responses! Makes me feel all the more motivated to get this out ASAP.  8)

@Memor-X
Oh damn. That's...a lot of ideas there. I was planning to allow players to control Black Hole inventions, but not the ability to capture them. I'll also add a configuration option that the user can set to make unit limits and restrictions. From a tournament perspective, some of those ideas are quite broken in power :haha: But, hey, this is an engine. What you do with it is totally up to you.

@candi
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. ;)

I hope to have a playable beta sometime next month. My checklist is quite heavy right now (mainly because the main menu stuff is 0% done right now...lots of notes and drawings though), but I guess it really all depends on how much school stuff is left to do (from the looks of it, not much).

Other Projects

Memor-X

Quote from: KK20 on November 21, 2012, 09:03:44 pm
I was planning to allow players to control Black Hole inventions

controlling them would be a good start for an initial release and being able to capture them would be an update, however i can't seem to think on how a player would control a Black Hole Building without capturing first, ofcause i was more thinking of multi-player where you would capture them and use them as central staging points for massing operations against your opponent's H.Q, when i made multi-player maps i created something like cannons by using a Rocket surrounded by pipe sitting onto of a city cause i really wanted players to start off in like a fortified base which would take effective strategies to penetrate and that was the best i could do for fixed deference

KK20

For the first release, I didn't plan on having that yet.
For controlling inventions, just give the player control of it before the battle begins (I mean, that's how they do it in the games).

Other Projects

KK20

Worked on the map select and CO select screens over Thanksgiving break. Going to rewrite the main battle processing and finish up on those last sub-menus. First beta release is mainly just to show off what I've got, get some playtests in, and just receive feedback. Scripters are welcome to edit it if they want (but that will be futile unless you share those edits with me since I've still got more updating to do).

I want to add that I'm kinda looking for spriters or anyone good with making graphics if you want to make the default systems look nicer/better. I'm not desperate, but if you like this project and feel you want to help make it look its best, I'd appreciate it ;) (otherwise, everyone will just have to love my amateur spriting).

Also, if you would like to make a logo for the project, go for it. The only program I've ever needed to used is Paint, so my experience with graphics is pretty much zero. Again, I'm not desperate, but if you would like to support, please <3

Other Projects

Memor-X

Quote from: KK20 on November 29, 2012, 01:59:53 am
kinda looking for spriters or anyone good with making graphics

you looking to create your own RTP or do you want sprites from Advance Wars, if so, here's a link to Advance War sprites

http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/advwars2/index.html

it's Advance Wars 2 but if you go back a level you can find Advance Wars

Zexion

I'm not like a pro or anything but here's an example of some stuff I've done.

Most of my sprites are just minor or major edits of already made sprites. The animation is the exception because I had to make a complete new animation by simply looking at previous animations. The animal crossing tileset was made 100% by me (the grass texture was a rip that I recolored). The water itself was not made by me, but the autotiles were.

I can basically mimic most sprite styles if you give me references.

KK20

@Memor-X
Oh I am well aware of that--probably pulled off a collection of sprites from there. Most of the sprites I've been using are from another AW project: Custom Wars.

@Zexion
It's nothing fancy that I'm looking for. Mainly just spicing up the simple graphics I've made (i.e. menu screens, status windows, cursor graphic, etc.). Basically I'm using the sprites from the original series and creating any makeshift graphics as the current placeholders for now; I won't update them unless someone would like to change them for the heck of it.

Here's an example of what I mean:
It does what it should do, but it's pretty plain in detail.

If you are willing to join the team, then I would greatly love your help!

Other Projects

Zexion

I'd like to join :) Just beware that I'm not 100% free all the time for 2 more weeks :P then I have a break from college for like 3 weeks or something.

KK20

No problem at all. I've still got another 2 weeks plus finals week.

I don't think I have anything for you to play around with until the first release though. It's probably way easier to find what could use some help when you actually play the game :P

Other Projects

Zexion

Sounds good. Do you have an ETA for the first release?

KK20

Soon-ish? I can't really pinpoint a date yet as I'm not sure how much stuff I've got left in those three weeks. I guess if I really wanted to, I could release it now, but it's missing some key features as well as buggy at the moment (missile silos are wonky, cruisers and aircraft carriers don't work properly with loaded units, etc.).

Just keeping my fingers crossed I can get it out before the end of the year.

Other Projects

KK20

December 05, 2012, 12:22:08 am #17 Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:31:15 am by KK20
Recently recorded a match between my completely noob friend and I. It was done over the internet via Teamviewer, so we had to communicate over our built-in, low-quality mikes. Not sure if I should upload with or without audio...or just wait until we can play on the same computer and not have this issue.

~30 minutes long
Very weird, and possibly awkward, dialogue

Regardless, I'll still probably upload it to Facebook.

Other Projects

KK20

Added a 80-minute gameplay between me and my friend. No audio (A. whoops and B. too much space and time).

I think I'm about ready to release the playable beta. Granted, I don't have everything I wanted done, but (dammit) my friends want to play it and I do need feedback. I don't think it will be pretty enough for scripters to play around with it--this is more for testing the gameplay/engine itself.

Other Projects

G_G

Sounds good KK20. Looking forward to it. :3