[RMXP] Entropy

Started by poxy, April 28, 2010, 09:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

poxy

April 28, 2010, 09:02:46 pm Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:06:50 am by poxysmash
Entropy

Prologue

Where does life come from? The sun and earth, we are told. Wherefrom came the sun and earth? The creators have placed them there.
Why is there death and chaos? From the seams of the universe where uncertainty exists, came the Ancients which sought to control the world. These are the truths reasoned by great philosophers at the dawn of civilization.

One such legend tells us of a kingdom trying to harness the power of the sun and control the world. Aximander, the ruler of this kingdom, begun years of bloodshed in the long war to crush the opposing regions. In his greed he had made sacrifices of his people and of those close to him, to reach this dream. And in his want of power Aximander grew paranoid and insane. At the height of this frenzy, Aximander began executing his close subjects and even his son, Carpus, fearing they would betray him.

However, his efforts paid off, and eventually the kingdom spread throughout the world, becoming an empire, heralding an age of technology and unlimited power.

Then one day, the world was thrown into chaos as the dead rose and tore the cities down. This army of the dead was lead by none other than the emperor's son, and accompanied by those that fell with him during the war.

When the empire had been crushed into the earth, the the undead army fell where they stood with it, and life began anew.

Everyone thought of this tale as a fantastic story, symbolic of the folly of reaching to high to the heavens, of betrayal and of revenge. This was so, until, history began to repeat.

Characters
Spoiler: ShowHide
Tycho

Tycho was adopted into the Talon at a young age, becoming the organization's youngest disciple. He trained from the outset to wield the biggest sword he could carry, against the advice of his teacher.
With the start of the demon war the Talon made efforts to learn of the enemy through surveillance. Their last effort was in joining the United Earth Armies at the battle of Galdebra. Tycho lost everyone he knew in that battle, and having nothing left, driven by rage, he swore to destroy the demonic oppression or die trying.

Adostreus

Adostreus is the aging, adamant leader of the Talon, an organization dedicated to preserving the teachings of the old philosophers, and the study of martial arts and swordsmanship. Having the knowledge of the ancient stories, he wondered of the connection between the demonic forces and the closely matching descriptions in the the old writings. He engaged the Talon in reconnaissance of the forces, to learn of their weaknesses. He tried to persuade the warring kingdoms to join against the demonic army while warning them not to engage if possible, without knowing their enemy.
Adostreus dissapeared in the battle of Galdbra and is presumed dead.

Carpus

It is not known whether the figure leading the demonic forces is truly Carpus of legend, but the destruction in his wake leads everyone to assume it is so.

Features

• Blizz ABS

• Detailed character and enemy animations

• Detailed cutscenes

• 15-30 Mins of Gameplay (It's a preview)

Screenshots
Title:

Scenes:

Game:

Download
http://www.sendspace.com/file/sbnvme
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EZHHUSMY
V1.2 Savefiles will now load correctly. Savefiles from older versions will not work, sorry.

Upcoming Features

These are some of the upcoming features arriving in future updates:

• Attack combo system

• Non-RTP maps

• New world(s)

• New playable characters

• Several shiny and detailed sprite edits

• Fleshed out story and dialogue

• New HUD

Preview Screens:

Combo: ShowHide

New Character and Sprites: ShowHide

Credits

Game and story

• poxysmash

Code

• Blizzard (Blizz ABS)

• Landith and winkio (HUD)

• Raziel (In-game menu)

• Hermes (Message System)

• nathmatt for helping with a bug

Music
  • dannyboyk2 and others -> link

GFX
  • poxysmash

• Ice Axe

• Inquisitor

A more comprehensive list is in the Readme available in the download. If I missed anyone , please let me know.
Also, check out the recruitment thread here if you want to help out, thanks.
My Project: ShowHide

This Side Backwards

Definitely looks interesting, I was really wanting to try it, but for some reason, it freezes during the initial cutscene (at "a blur of carnage"). The screen fades and the player stops responding.

I'll be sure to take a look at it once this is fixed though!

poxy

Weird.. It hasn't happened to me. I will take a look at it when I can.

Spaceman McConaughey

Me like, me downloading. :haha:

The Niche

I like your concept, it's an interesting idea. But in one of your screenshots, with the army on the cliff looking at the city I think, the realistic panorama seems to jar with the rest of it. Just a thought.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Landith

Hey! Your using my HUD! Whoo-hoo! (I really need to update that thing :/)
You also might wanna change the first image to something cooler as the one I made is just lame :P

Anyways, game looks really promising, downloading now :D I'll give feedback after I play through the demo.

poxy

Quote from: Landith on April 30, 2010, 06:45:30 pm
Hey! Your using my HUD! Whoo-hoo! (I really need to update that thing :/)
You also might wanna change the first image to something cooler as the one I made is just lame :P

Anyways, game looks really promising, downloading now :D I'll give feedback after I play through the demo.

Yea the HUD seemed best suited for the project. I might change the graphic sometime but I think it works ok with the red Hotkey display and equipment text. I've spent a lot of time on the demo and just kind of rushed a few things to be able to put it up at last. It's a good HUD so I'm glad to use it. : )

Quote from: This Side Backwards on April 29, 2010, 06:50:44 pm
Definitely looks interesting, I was really wanting to try it, but for some reason, it freezes during the initial cutscene (at "a blur of carnage"). The screen fades and the player stops responding.

Still can't seem to reproduce that bug. Tried on another PC. And you say you saw the player on the screen? Cause the player should've been erased... My intuition is that it could be because of a different OS than XP or more likely switching applications. There is a lot of timed events interacting with autoruns in the cutscene and they may not interact well if the game is paused.
I'm hoping it's not a prevalent issue. It's too bad it doesn't seem to work for you though : \. But try running through the cutscene without pausing it. I'll have to put in a fullscreen script sometime.

Thanks for the input, guys. The demo is mostly a flashy gameplay showcase, so please download and try it out and let me know what you think. : )

G_G

Quote from: This Side Backwards on April 29, 2010, 06:50:44 pm

Your computer may have lagged. Its happened to me and several rmxp games. I start playing a game, my computer lags and I get a script is hanging error. My suggestion is to try it again.

About the game. I'm liking it so far. I like the skill where he charges at the enemy. Thats really cool. I also like how he swings his sword. Story seems okay so far. I'm gonna keep playing it and post later about it.

Kett Shee

This looks very very interesting, I'll have to check it out later.(when my bandwidth resets. :x )
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

Fantasist

Interesting idea, good implementation. *levels up and downloads*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Wizered67

May 02, 2010, 07:18:03 pm #10 Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:19:04 pm by Wizered67
when I try to load a save game I get this error
QuoteScript 'Hermes' line 1555: EOFError occured:
End of file reached

poxy

May 02, 2010, 07:25:13 pm #11 Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:16:50 am by poxysmash
Quote from: Wizered67 on May 02, 2010, 07:18:03 pm
when I try to load a save game I get this error
QuoteScript 'Hermes' line 1555: EOFError occured:
End of file reached

Ok I'll take a look at it.

Update: New download up with a few tweaks: auto-fullscreen, new Adostreus sprite, a map tweak, removed RTP requirements (+5Mb). It was put up before the error was found :/
Also added character descriptions. I thinks it meets the movement requirements now.

Edit: New version up, savefile bug fix.
Edit 2: Credits up.

poxy

Quote from: game_guy on May 01, 2010, 09:31:00 am
About the game. I'm liking it so far. I like the skill where he charges at the enemy. Thats really cool. I also like how he swings his sword. Story seems okay so far. I'm gonna keep playing it and post later about it.

Thanks, I put a lot of time into those sprites, especially the sword swing. Glad you like :]

BTW, I've put up some of the enemy sprites for download on the Resources forum.

Sacred Nym

The demo was very enjoyable. I look forward to seeing more.
Quote昨日の自分に「さようなら」
Say "Goodbye" to who you were yesterday.

impulszero

Err... i got problem with this:
i start the game, then black screen appears. and then just disappear after 3 or 4 sec. No error message or anything. Any ideas?
<br /><br />Order is for idiots, Genius can handle Chaos.

poxy

No idea what that could be... a friend had a similar problem with a white screen. Did you get to the title menu? The game begins with a black screen and goes into name input. It could be freezing there.

I may restart the project in the same spirit, since there is a general hassle with scripts not getting along. I've been taking a break, and I'm getting back into development. Working on additional playable characters ATM. Will definatly implement a combo system as well : )

impulszero

Quote from: poxysmash on July 10, 2010, 04:38:44 pm
Did you get to the title menu?

Nope. Just blak screen and the disappear. Well dont bother anyway. Am simply gonna wait for next demo :)
<br /><br />Order is for idiots, Genius can handle Chaos.

Shalaren

July 19, 2010, 03:08:20 pm #17 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:37:26 pm by shalaren metropolis
looks nice.. ill download it.

EDIT: i cant play it X:, it allways gives me an error says "RGSS has stopped working" X_x

poxy

Quote from: shalaren metropolis on July 19, 2010, 03:08:20 pm
looks nice.. ill download it.

EDIT: i cant play it X:, it allways gives me an error says "RGSS has stopped working" X_x

0.0 Seems more and more like it doesn't work for anyone. I will re-release the demo here when I've done some fixing and testing on different systems... sorry guys.

Xunbreakable89X

The story line for this seems pretty interesting, I'll deff check it out.