Author Topic: A little help with storyline development?  (Read 871 times)

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
A little help with storyline development?
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:10 AM »
I've hit a crossroads at this point in development. I've developed concepts of characters: eg. Their design, personalities, fighting styles, names, back-stories etc. I've also developed a very general back-story for the world they live in and the events that led to it's formation. I have TONS of ideas on what I'd like to happen. My problem is that I just don't know how to go about designing the actual story-line. I don't know how to plan out what I want them to say, the animations I want to play, etc.

I guess what I'm asking for is...does anyone know a good way to plan out game development? Like a sort of outline type form or something?

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 199
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
Re: A little help with storyline development?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
Generally, a storyboard or one of its variants is what is used for story-centric games, which is what I think you are making.  You usually need a rough outline/narrative/script of what is going to happen first though, because storyboards tend to be pretty detailed.

If you are looking for advice on how to write a good story, commonly accepted practices are:
  • characters that are fundamentally changed throughout the plot
  • struggles to overcome obstacles
  • love, humor, thrills, and horror

so those might be a good place to start.

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
Re: A little help with storyline development?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:45:12 AM »
That's actually exactly what I wanted! Something to help me get it all together....The thing is I remember using storyboards when we made a "commercial" in video-tech class. I never thought I would actually want to use it again. Haha thanks winkio :P