Author Topic: [XP] Heretic's Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts  (Read 36443 times)

Offline Heretic86

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 33
    • View Profile
Re: [XP] Heretic's Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
If version 1.1 of Super Event Sensor is working exactly as posted, I'll update the real version to reflect what is here.

And no worries, Ive made the same mistake before too, spend half an hour looking at code and just had a wrong setting.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Offline Helios

• Trained Member
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
The script itself works, yes, but still have one problem.

Like I said before, the guard should be able to see you, whether lit or not, and being lit only makes you more visible. That's the way it should be.

In the new 1.1 version, if guard has light=true, then being in the dark will render you completely invisible to the guard, which is just absurd. But if a guard's setting does not include light=true, then the "lit makes you more visible" part does not work at all. As the guard's range remain the same regardless of lit or not, lights around the map become pure decoration instead of level design element. Not everyone is running around with a flashlight all the time, you know.

To sum it up, they should able to see you from far away when you are in light, and must still able to see you when you are close enough without light. The current version can only do one or the other. That's the problem.

Although I have to admit, this might be a bit too much to ask. I'm already pretty happy with the current version, so it's okay if you feel there is no need to improve it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:17:09 PM by Helios »

Offline Heretic86

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2018, 03:53:32 AM »
I think it would be pretty easy to allow for customization too.  What about something like "light_range"?  Thus, the dynamic lighting is no longer just for visuals and also allows for functionality.  Should be pretty simple to add also, its just one variable, and a minor adjustment to the get_range function.  Would that work?  Basically, what Im thinking is if the Player / Target is being illuminated, then that range is used instead of the default range.

I also understand what you mean, that not all enemies carry a flashlight.  Non human enemies definitely wouldnt, and the player should still be detectable.  I didnt make that many changes to the code, just added the three new variables, added one new method called "def target_lit?" and slight modification to "def can_see?"  Perhaps it would work better for you if you take a look at the code where I made the changes? 

I'd like to see what you change to make it suit everyones needs...
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Offline Helios

• Trained Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »
Basically, what Im thinking is if the Player / Target is being illuminated, then that range is used instead of the default range.

What about something like "light_range"?

That's EXACTLY what I suggested in the first place.

What I envisioned is something like a third "layer" of range for SES, like the listen range which is different fron view range. The "lit range" would be longer than the view range, but only active if "in light".

If only I know how to code...

Anyway, I think I've been bothering you for too long about this, like I said I'm already pretty happy with the last update, so I'll stop here.

Thanks again for helping me out, Heretic86!  :up:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:32:06 AM by Helios »

Offline Heretic86

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
Ok, Super Event Sensor Version 1.11 in Testing:

http://downloads.chaos-project.com/heretic86/SuperEventSensorVersion1.11LightDetection.txt

I added TWO features, per your request, and with some forward thinking:
light_range=5
dark_range=3

You can use both the features together.  Just put those in your Sensor_Config.  The light/dark_range will ONLY kick in AT NIGHT or INDOORS when Lighting Effects are on.  I havent fully tested this as much as I prefer to do, but it appears stable and functional.

Here is how it works:

When at night, your Sensor will use Light Range instead of the Default Range, when the Target (typically Player) is Illuminated.  Thats a HINT to turn off your torches since it makes you show up to the Sensors.  Now, for Non Humanoid Sensors like Animals, thats when Dark Range is most useful.  Dark Range is intended to DECREASE but NOT FULLY ELIMINATE Light Detection features.  Thus, your Dark Range should be LESS than your normal range.  If you use "range=5", then turn it town by 1 or 2 for Dark Range, "dark_range=3".  The sensor can still "see" but is not blind.

NOTE:  If you make a Sensor Light Sensitive with "light=true" in the Sensor_Config, it WILL BE BLIND when the Target is shrouded in shadow without the Light / Dark Features.  I did not offer any means for changing VIEW with the new Light Integration features.

@Helios - does this suit your needs?  Please let me know if there are glitches or bugs you come across.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

Offline Helios

• Trained Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2018, 03:00:27 AM »
That did it! That's exactly what I need!

Thanks a ton, Heretic86! :cclove: :cclove: :cclove: