[XP] State removal animations and displaying enemy name in "Show Text" command

Started by Lucern7, September 04, 2017, 04:48:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucern7

Okay so I've been working on a way to give the player more feedback as to when status effects/states are removed. The issue is since I have about 20 or so states the current system I'm using is getting a bit bloated and doesn't really work for enemies since common events only checks enemy index 1-8 rather than get specifics. (It's technically an issue with the party members too but since I plan to have a mostly fixed party order it's not as big of an issue though if it can be fixed too I'd appreciate it)

Here's a screenshot of a bit of the common event I'm using, basically each battle it'd be called on a per-turn basis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a40bmo639b06nqg/States.jpg?dl=0

I like trying things out before asking for help but this has got me stumped. It'd also be nice if there was a way to check if they have any states, before running, though the only way I could think of to do this would be have a "No states" state that gets removed if any are added. Either way I look forward to any tips you guys can think of to help me out.

KK20

QuoteIt'd also be nice if there was a way to check if they have any states

$game_party.actors[ID].states.size > 0

Replace ID with the actor's party index, starting with 0.

An enemy's name is

$game_troop.enemies[ID].name

Again, replace ID with troop index, starting with 0. You can store that into a game variable ($game_variables[ID] = ENEMY NAME) which you can then use in a Show Message event.

Things get trickier with checking when a state is added or removed. The scripting-route would require adding a new variable and aliasing the add_state and remove_state methods.

Personally, I'm not a fan of having a giant text window pop-up in battle to tell me that I have a status ailment and having to destroy my keyboard to cycle through all the messages every turn.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Lucern7

Both those worked perfectly you're a lifesaver KK!

As far as it being annoying, I forgot to mention I set the text mode to All at once to mimic the window message pop ups like when you use an attack. I did delete the middle "Suffering from Poison" message since it's more redundant than helpful. Now it only plays when a state is added or removed.

For now I've just got a bunch of switches for each individual state that gets the job done well enough, the only time it gets a bit spammy is if multiple states are lost in a turn. That shouldn't happen too often though.